Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Show All Answers
Check out the Brevard County Supervisor of Elections website for the Names of the Representatives (under the Election Pages Section.)
City of Cocoa Beach Land Development Code (Ord 1595) Political Sign RegulationsSection 5-04. Sign Standards and CriteriaA. Temporary Non-Commercial Message Signs: The following standards and criteria shall apply to all temporary non-commercial message signs located and placed within the City limits. Noncommercial message signs do not contain commercial advertising for a commercial for-profit business, service or product.1. These signs shall all be freestanding signs, constructed of sturdy, all-weather materials such as hard plastic, vinyl, masonite or wood of a sufficient thickness to withstand the local weather conditions commonly experienced. (Paper and cardboard signs are strictly prohibited).
2. No temporary signage shall be placed within the public rights-of-way, and unless approved by the City Manager in advance. No temporary signage shall be placed on City owned property.
3. No part of any temporary sign shall be located closer than two (2) feet from a property line or a public right-of-way, and in no instance shall any temporary sign obstruct the visibility of any motorist, bicyclist or pedestrian from seeing oncoming pedestrians, bicyclists or vehicular traffic.
4. These signs may be double-faced, with messages on the front and back sides of the same sign, and only the sign area of one (1) side shall be used for the sign area calculations.
5. Standards for locating signs on residential or commercial properties:a. On residentially zoned properties, no single sign shall exceed six (6) square feet in sign area, and a total of three (3) temporary signs are permitted on any one (1) property, with a maximum of eighteen (18) square feet of total combined sign area, at a maximum height of four (4) feet for all signs.b. On commercially zoned properties, no single sign shall exceed thirty-two (32) square feet in sign area, and a total of three (3) temporary signs are permitted on any one (1) property, with a maximum of ninety-six (96) square feet of total combined sign area, at a maximum height of eight (8) feet for all signs.
7. Temporary non-commercial message signs shall be removed within three (3) calendar days from the date the scheduled event has concluded.Section 5-14. Prohibited Signs and DisplaysThe following signs are prohibited within the City limits:A. Signs on seawalls and retaining walls. No message or commercial advertising sign other than those placed by a governmental entity shall be attached, painted or applied to any seawalls or retaining walls bordering any body of water or waterway, except attached to commercially zoned properties, or as exempted by Section 5-08(L).B. Signs on public utility poles and trees. No sign of any type, except signs posted by the utility to their poles, shall in any way be attached to any public utility poles or trees. Paper and cardboard signs are prohibited to be used as any type of sign throughout the City.C. Signs obstructing clear passage. No part of any sign shall in any way be attached to or located to obstruct any fire escape, access or ventilation device which prevents free passage from one (1) part of a roof to another.D. Sign over public property. No sign shall extend over public property or public right-of-way.E. Banner signs. Banner, balloons, pendants, streamers, or other types of attention getting devices, except temporary signs in accordance with Section 5-04(B) as approved by the Administrator.
Banner signs may not be placed across any street or thoroughfare without the approval of the City Manager or designee and the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), where appropriate.F. Illumination features. No sign shall be located where it can be seen from any street or highway that in any way resembles a traffic signal or emergency vehicle light. This includes any rotating and/or flashing signal lamps of any color, similar to those used on emergency vehicles.G. General. The following signs, sign features, or attention getting devices are prohibited:1. Bullseye, spiral, divergent, sequential, flashing or intermittent lights or messages designed todraw and focus attention to a single point.2. Spectacular signs, with the exception of changeable message boards and/or electronic readerboard signs, are allowed in accordance with the following:a. The display of each different message must each be displayed for a minimum five (5)seconds, before changing to a new message.b. The transition between messages must not flash once the new message is displayed.3. Signs which are held by a person and twirled, and any type of rotating paddle signs whichchange the displayed message when the paddles are rotated.4. No sign of any kind shall be located, to in any way interfere with, block the view of, resemble or look similar enough to be confused with any authorized traffic signal, sign or device.5. No sign shall use words of warning, such as "STOP," "LOOK," "DANGER," or any word,phrase, symbol or character that in any way interferes with, distracts or confuses motorists.6. No sign of any kind shall be located to interfere with the clear line-of-sight for motor vehicle,bicycle or pedestrian traffic. Any signs found to be in violation will be immediately removed atthe sole discretion of the City Code Enforcement Officer.H. Signs on glass visible from a public right-of-way shall not exceed twenty-five (25) percent of the total square footage of the glass area on which the sign is located, or as more specifically designated in each separate zoning district in Chapter II of these regulations.I. A trailer or vehicle sign, when not permanently affixed to the trailer or vehicle, which is parked for the intended purpose of adding additional signage beyond that which is allowed by this Code. This provision does not apply to a trailer or motor vehicle which has a business identification sign permanently affixed to it, which is operable, properly licensed, and regularly used for the daily operation of the business, which does not remain parked on the business property for any extended or excessive period of time as determined by the Code Enforcement Officer, or when it is parked temporarily at any other location, such as the operator’s residence, or while the operator of the vehicle is conducting business.J. No illuminated sign or display shall be located as to violate City Code Section 15-44.K. Any other signs not specifically identified as being allowed are classified as being prohibited.Section 5-28. Penalties for ViolationIt shall be unlawful to violate any of the provisions of this Chapter and any violation shall be punished in a manner provided by City Code of Ordinances Chapter 31. Each day of violation shall constitute a separate offense.
Section 5-30. Removal of SignsA. Any unauthorized or prohibited sign located on any City property, public rights-of-way, utility poles or trees will be removed by the City without notice to the owner of the sign. Such signs shall be stored by the City for five (5) days before being destroyed or discarded. If the owner of the sign is known, a Notice of Violation against City Code may be issued in accordance with City Code Chapter 31. Registration Application and Guidelines
For household hazardous waste (paint, lawn chemicals, etc.):8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday - Saturday
Please call 321-633-1888
Please note that parking sessions ends at 11:59 pm and there is no overnight parking allowed.
After payment has been accepted, please call City of Cocoa Beach Finance Department at 321-868-3221 and give the location of the pay station by providing the number of the closest parking spot.
Traffic Citations are processed through the Traffic Division of the Brevard County Clerk of Court's Office. If you have any questions about paying for a traffic citation or you would like to set a hearing date, please contact the Clerk's Office directly at 321-637-5413.
8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday - Saturday - For household hazardous waste (paint, lawn chemicals, etc.)